Saturday, October 13, 2012

Windows, Money, and Traveling in Ireland


A few thoughts: 
1.  My "10 minute" walk to the hospital is actually 30 minutes.  I finally timed it today door to door.  The Irish walk fast, but not THAT fast!

2.  Why in heaven's name do people here want the window open when it's freezing outside?  Irish people say to get "fresh air".  They said the same thing in New Zealand and I say let them go outside for fresh air and keep the heat on inside with the window closed!  I finally told the B&B lady that I have allergies and I'm allergic to nature - which is true, but very handy to use this time!

3.  Spencer is doing much better!  I took him out for an hour or two today to tour a little of Galway, with the doctor's okay.  He must be feeling much better because my pocketbook is feeling it!  He wanted to tip everyone he bought something from - he tried to tip the grocer, the shop clerk, the vendor, and everyone else!  He did it all with my money!  Finally I started paying for things myself instead of just giving him the money!  I think he knows how hard people work and wanted to show them how much he appreciated their work.


4.  Note to self:  Always assume you will be somewhere for longer than you think you will be there.  I assumed I would be in Ireland 2 days and I've been here a week and 2 days.  ALWAYS bring a blow dryer.  ALWAYS bring fingernail clippers.  ALWAYS bring laundry detergent and a clothes line. I don't care if it's an overnight trip, I'm bringing them!  Lesson learned (twice).  This summer I was in Utah and got an e-mail from Pueblo Ingles and they invited me to do a last minute program in Spain.  So I went from hot hot Utah to cold North West Galicia, Spain.  I also stayed for 3 weeks.  No blow dryer, not enough laundry detergent, no clothes line, and no fingernail clippers.  Now I have fingernail clippers that say "Porto, Portugal" and "I love Ireland".  



No comments:

Post a Comment