Monday, August 10, 2015

Beer Gardens are for Kids & Wandering Around is the Best Way to See a City!

Beer Gardens are for Kids:
So, just down the street from my apartment is a really popular beer garden.  If you know me well at all, you know I don't drink alcohol.  So, why would I go to a beer garden?  Because, although they sell beer, they are actually a family and community type of restaurant.  It is made up of picnic tables and a casual dining style.  In fact, more often than not, you'll be sitting with strangers on the other side of the picnic table.  The food is usually cheap and good.  You do not have to have a beer.  The one near my house has a playground for children.  Another one I saw, had an extensive playground for all ages of children.  As I went on my walk today, I saw people literally flooding in the one almost next door to me.  I need to go there to eat dinner one day soon.  This is one I passed that was closed. It was right next to the cathedral.



Wandering Around is the Best Way to See a City:
When I go to different places, one of my favorite things to do is get lost.  I have my map on my cell phone when I want to get home. (Just an FYI, if you look at your Google map when you have wifi, and don't close the app, it will show you exactly where you are and an interactive map of the city - no data required.  It will also tell you directions if that is what you choose to do, but you have to program the directions before you leave wifi.)  I followed directions to church this morning.  It worked, but it took me through streets that had shops and not very interesting things.  This afternoon - after the heat had gone - around 5, I decided to walk along the river.
This path is very close to my house.  The bridge is just for walkers and bikers, cars can't use it.

On the other side of the walking bridge is a lovely park with things for all ages!

I love that there are remnants of the old city wall and fort.  This is in the middle of the park.

This is a little fair for kids.  I couldn't tell if they were paying for the rides or they were free.  I think they were free, because they could ride over and over again.  I love the variety of rides.  I'm not sure if you can see the swings, but they were 2-people swings - big enough for adults. Under the green umbrella is an old fashioned roller coaster - emphasis on the roller.  They took old crates, put it on the rollers and rolled down the ride.  The kids would take the crates back to the top and go again!



I love the old mixed with the new!








I love towers!  More stairs to climb to see great views! (Later!)


I love these shopping streets. I actually hate shopping,
but these are pedestrian only and are great for people watching!

THE Cathedral:  Ulm Minster - It has the tallest church spires in Europe.




Fisherman's Quarter - I'm in love!
This is a mix of old and new.  Water and waterfalls.  Art and food.  I loved the watermill and how the houses were right on the water.  The next bend would bring more fun architecture and sculptures.




Reminds me of Venice!




This is a city wall that separates the houses from the
walk/bike path and the river.  It's up high and goes for a long way with beautiful sights on both sides!


I loved this candy striped house!

When I didn't think it would get any better, a the end of the wall, there is a flower garden!

I saw so many boats!  Rowing, canoeing, kayaking - you name it, it was floating down the river!



1 comment:

  1. The city you live in seems to be a tourist dream come true. Your photos look professional. Thank you for taking a lots of us with you to Germany via this blog. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete