Sunday, September 30, 2012

Life, Death, and Religion

Aunt Claudia
It is funny how the death of someone really makes you look at your own life.  This weekend, my aunt Claudia passed away.  She had cancer and she had no pain.  I think of my father's last week of life and thank heaven that Claudia went so easily.  She was a very funny lady and my cousin - her granddaughter asked Claudia what she wanted to be for Halloween.  Claudia replied, "Lady Gaga!"  She was much hipper than my mom, who wouldn't have a clue who Lady Gaga was.  Claudia, I'm going to miss your wide smile and your helpful heart!


Women's Conference
This weekend, I have been thinking a lot about religion and spirituality.  Not only was this reflection caused by my Aunt's passing, but also because this week was also Women's Conference.  Women's Conference is when the women leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints give talks about various religious topics.  These conferences always inspire me to be a better person and I really enjoy listening to them.  http://www.lds.org/broadcasts/archive/general-relief-society-meeting/2012/09?lang=eng 


Afterlife - Agree to Disagree
I also have a very good friend who is an atheist.  He does not believe in any type of afterlife.  It is mind boggling to me how we can both have such conviction in our beliefs and be at the polar opposite ends of the spectrum.  I cannot imagine a world in which death is the end.  It seems so obvious to me that the spirit leaves the body.  I have felt the presence of my dad, grandparents, and others who have passed away.  It is a very interesting debate, one leaving us both with our same beliefs, but with more respect for everyone's right to believe what they may.


Separation of Church and State
I teach future teachers at Grand Canyon University, which is a Christian college.  My students go on and on about how religion should be brought back into the classroom.  Although I am a very religious person, I am an even bigger advocate in religious equality.  I always ask my students which religion they want in the schools.  Should it be Christian, Buddhism, Hinduism, Muslim, Jewish, or some other religion?  What about parents who are atheists and don't want any religion?  I am great with people believing what they wish to believe.  I am not okay with teachers choosing for their students what to teach them about religion.  Let's leave that to parents.  Thank heaven for separation of church and state because that is the law, no matter how much the teachers I teach want religion to be a part of schools.  Be careful what you wish for!

No comments:

Post a Comment