Saturday, October 6, 2012

Ireland Day 2 - 10 minutes walk.

My 10 minute walk
I decided to day when I went to visit Spencer to try to find the local Mormon church.  I got directions from my B&B family to the hospital - a 10 minutes walk they said.  I looked on my map and decided if I go a little farther I can go on the road where the church is supposed to be.  I said supposed to be because I never found it, but I did have a lovely hike.  I walked for about 2 hours.  I did visit Spencer and he was sleeping and very drugged, so I had a nice 5 minute visit before he decided to sleep again.  Sleep sometimes is the best medicine!  

This 10 minute walk is so funny to me!  I actually saw a sign that pointed in a direction and said some type of attraction was 10 minutes one way and another attraction was 10 minutes in the opposite direction.  Unfortunately, it was on the other side of the road, and I didn't want to get run over for a great picture.  Half way between the 10 minute walk from the hospital to the B&B, I asked a store clerk for directions, and she said, "It'll be about a 10 minute walk."  I cracked up right there in the middle of the store.  She must have thought I was crazy! 

My Rock Walls
One thing I wanted to see was rock walls along the roads in Ireland.  I have seen several movies with that and it just seemed lovely.  (I'm thinking P.S., I love you and Leap Year.) There are rock walls everywhere, in fact I saw a bridge with flat cement facing the water and stones put in as a facade on the side facing the road. 

Here is unusual bush.  It had these
popcorn-like bulbs.   I wish I had a
better picture to show you!

Here is an example of the many rock walls
I saw on my hike today.
Road Signs are a bit unusual in Galway, Ireland.  They are written in Gaelic and English.  They drive on the other side of the road, so I have to check, recheck, and recheck again when I cross the road.
 

There are great bike paths there.  The bike sidewalk for walkers is one level, the bike paths are a little lower, and the road itself is on the lowest level.  I thought this was great because the bikes have their own lane that is not on the road.

I was so confused by this sign.  I think that it means watch out for the bikes, but I'm still not quite sure.  If a bike was going straight then the bike would still be hit even if they veered to the left to go right.  I don't get it.  Thank heaven I'm not driving here.  I thought it would be easy to get used to since I drove in New Zealand on the opposite side of the road, but it's been way too long!


 Here are some lovely flowers just outside my B&B.  It's a really lovely garden!




No comments:

Post a Comment