Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Right and Wrong

Since I started my new job I have noticed that I have this black and white way of looking at things.  I have never really noticed it before, but at my new job, it comes up all the time.  Here are some examples:

1.  When my students started to come in my room, some of them went straight to google to search for their favorite website.  In my eyes that is completely wrong because #1 I had no idea where they were going or what they were doing.  #2 Google is not a child friendly website.  I teach from my website and they only go where I want them to go and do what I want them to do.  They only search on sites that are kid safe.

2.  During a PTA meeting, I went to take pictures, when I came back to the lab, there were students in there unsupervised on youtube and other websites.  I feel this was wrong because who knows what they will find on youtube and when kids are on school property, they should always be supervised.

3.  I introduced my students to a student friendly social networking site called Edmodo.   www.edmodo.com  They could add a picture and they wanted to search in google for images.  This was wrong because if you take google images it is breaking copyright law.

I am not so sure if I am right or I am going crazy trying to make sure they go to safe places when in reality everyone steals images from google images.  A co-worker suggested that it was our job to make sure they know how to search properly because they will do it anyway.  Plus, it is easier to find images on google than any other website.  This is oh so true!  But, if I don't teach them the rules and safety who will? 

I spend quite a bit of my time also with undergraduate students who are still stealing pictures from google images.  My university students don't know that copying and pasting without documention is wrong and it drives me up the wall!

I am not sure if I am wrong or right or a little of both, but thank heaven my co-worker Kathy has the patience of a saint for putting up with my rules!

3 comments:

  1. IMO..U just asked a bunch of Black and white questions. My first thought was: was is the rules for Tiffany. In today's society we are sue crazy and teachers have less and less rights.
    Therefore, my first thought was, how far can/could Tiff take her wants or rules. Would she get support...etc. Then I would know if this is a futile goal?

    Should it be show and tell then move on. Will I just frustrate myself everyday. Will I be banging my head staging a brick wall.

    Is this really all black and white, with some grey stuff in between. ;0)

    Today, at my old age, I try to change what I can and leave the rest to God. ;0)

    On the children with no supervision. I would be sure to voice this. Because later if something goes down ad you don't speak up. I think it will be years of regret. Today kids have guns...just saying. Go back to your roots> CTR. You rock... ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to edit all that...lol sorry rushing. I have to get granddaughters to appointments. ;0(

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there are clear rules and they are in line with school policy, stand up for those rules and enforce them. If they want to roam wherever they want on their own, let them. I think it's good for them to know that there's a time and place for everything. It's good for them to know that there are rules that are intended to be followed, no matter where they go.

    Now, if you wanted to have a class specifically on how to surf the web safely, I think that'd be a good thing - however, they still need to follow the rules while at school.

    Also, if you wanted to have a class on how to appropriately download and copy things and how to give proper credit to the source, that might also be appropriate.

    Does all that make sense?

    In the end, stand up for what you know to be right. Follow the prompting of the Holy Ghost in all things. Rely on the Savior and you'll be alright. With their help you'll find a way to reach all of your students, no matter their age or situation.

    ReplyDelete