Saturday, September 8, 2012

Discovering Raleigh

It is so funny that I have lived in the Raleigh area for about 14 years and rarely go downtown.  With my friend Ola here visiting from London, I had the opportunity to re-discover what this wonderful city has to offer.  There are so many great places to visit, to eat, to see, and to listen to (in the matter of a couple of hours we heard 3 or 4 bands for free).  I have do a lot of things with friends, but I should take advantage of all the great, and free, things that Raleigh has to offer!

Some of the things I've never done in Raleigh that I did this week: 
  1.  Bowled at North Hills Sparians Bowling alley
  2. Walked from the Capital Building to Raleigh Memorial Auditorium
  3. Rode on the R bus line - the free bus line that goes downtown
  4. Eaten at a cupcake place downtown - I didn't know there was a cupcake place.  Ola needed cake!
  5. Eaten at the Armadillo Grill, The Raleigh Times, Fresca Cafe and Gelato (Didn't know such places existed - we ate out a lot in 3 days!)
  6. Gone to the new part of the Raleigh Science Museum


Ola's first day in Raleigh, Thursday, David and Suzanne Tilton and I took her to downtown Raleigh.  We went to this great restaurant called The Raleigh Times in downtown Raleigh.  David had to work, but Suzanne and I stayed and took Ola to see some of the sights of Raleigh.  We went and saw the outside of the Raleigh Science Museum and the Capital building.








 On Friday, Suzanne made us an incredible dinner with things she bought at the farmers market and I took Ola bowling with some of my friends.


Saturday, we had planned to go to the beach, but we decided to go to downtown Raleigh instead.  We went to Crabtree, the Science Museum - played with dead animals, the History Museum - ran through the Gone with the Wind exhibit the last 5 minutes the museum was open, walked the length of downtown, finally found Sir Walter Raleigh - who moved, by the way, to the convention center instead of the state capital.  We rode the free R bus line back to where we were parked, went to see Duke University, had torrential rain, had a wonderful dinner of crepes and hot chocolate, and finally made it back to Suzanne and David's house.  





No comments:

Post a Comment