Sunday, August 26, 2012

Is it better to be single or married?

I have thought a lot about the pros and cons of being single a lot lately.  When I got back from Spain so many married people said, "I wish I had your life."  So many times I have wished for their situation in life.  The ideal of course would be married to the perfect guy, have perfect children, and travel the world together. 

In reality, most of my close friends are divorced.  They tell me horror stories of how their ex was controlling, lost their faith, or abusive in some cases.  I have a friend who tells me horror stories about the teens in her house.  I have to say that the longer I teach the less I want children of my own.  That is so horrible, but it is so true!

In my own family, my mom did everything my dad told her to do.   She did it joyfully and with no complaint.  At times, I wanted to complain for her.  I could not live like that.  I could not smile and say, "Sure, no problem." to everything. 

My ideal would be my partner, my equal, and my friend.  I want someone who will challenge my mind and make me want to be a better person.   For now, I will try to make myself a better person. 

I assume that I will always be single.  I am okay with that.  I have a great life and I get to do things that married people dream of doing.  For now my single friends are my family and they are great!

2 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog. I'm a big proponent of both marriage and children. Of course, I don't have teenagers yet. I will say that it's better to be single than married to the wrong person. You shouldn't need another person to be happy. That being said, relationships seem to be the most important source of happiness for most people. Make the most of your relationships with your friends, and if you find a best friend, then you are lucky indeed. Also, your mom is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever sat down and talked to your mom? Told her about your perceptions and asked for her side of things? Her answers might surprise you.

    I agree with Tammy and Alvin - it is MUCH better to be single than to be married to the wrong person.

    Being single and being married both have their joys and adventures and struggles and sorrows. I don't know that one is necessarily "better" than another.

    I suppose the key is for everyone to enjoy "where they're at" and to "suck the marrow out of life" and glean all the good they can from any situation they find themselves in. Be where God wants you to be, and you'll be able to do all those things.

    ReplyDelete