Thursday, August 2, 2012

Where Did You Go In Spain?

One of the most often questions that I have had about my trip to Spain is "Where did you go?"  I think people were expecting the normal, "Madrid and Barcelona" or other places that Americans have heard of.  They are not expecting to hear, "Vilalba, Santiago de Compostela, Vigo, and La Alberca".  I did go to Madrid - we flew into and flew out of Madrid.  I did spend a few hours touring Madrid - I did see a flamenco dance there and did go to Sol.  But it was such a small part of my trip that I hardly count it.



Vilalba is a very small village in the Autonomous Community of Galicia in the Province of Lugo in Northwest Spain.  Before I go on, let me educate you on the way Spain is set up, it was very confusing to me, so I'll put it in American terms.  Spain is broken up into 14 (I think) regions called autonomous communities - in America we would call those states.  Those regions are broken up in several provinces - in the states we would call them counties.  The provinces are actually named the same name as the biggest city - so Vilalba is a village in Lugo, Galicia, Spain.  Just like I live in Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina, USA.

This picture was taken next to the village and it was the walk we took every day when we doing our one-on-one conversations.  It was more spring like than summer.

Here is the village next to our hotel.  It was very small but very cute

We went on a long walk next to this river.  It was beautiful!




No comments:

Post a Comment