Monday, September 7, 2015

Nuremberg: Who is to blame?

Nuremberg:  A place of castles, cathedrals, and a long history.
All these pictures were taken with my cell phone using the selfie method because the SIM card messed up my regular picture taking ability on my phone.  So, sorry if they are a little sideways or cut off.

I almost didn't see this!  You have to look over the bridge to see this view.  I love the arches to make way for the water.

I love this saying.  Although it is sad and tragic, I think it's a metaphor for when anything horrible happens in our life.  This cathedral - one of the smaller ones - has pictures of right before the bombing of Nuremberg with Nazi flag after Nazi flag to the finish of the rebuilding of the cathedral.  There are sayings like this that accompany each of the pictures.  It is moving to say the least and had me wondering who was to blame.  I am going to chalk it up to the casualties of war with my American brain saying that it had to be done, Hitler had to be stopped and this was how it was done.  There was no alternative.
  
Walking down a cute colorful street on the way to the cathedral.
 The following pictures are from either the top of the 
castle tower or the surrounding area.
This shows the destruction of Nuremberg from the bombings of World War 2.  Most of the buildings are completely destroyed and all seem to have at least some damage.  These pictures were all around the top of the tower.  So you would see the before picture, the after picture, and look out the window to see the city as it is now.   I liked the pictures in the cathedral a little bit better because to me, this shows the destruction only.  It didn't show the row after row of Nazi flags like the cathedral did.  To me the castle talked about the destruction rather than the consequences of following an evil dictator.  

















This is a model of a well that was found inside the castle walls.  It is so deep that it took about 5 seconds for us to hear the splash of water that the guide poured in.  Sorry I don't have a picture of the well, but you can't see down it at all because it is so dark.


I climbed to the top of this tower!  It has great views!




This was breakfast - It was very yummy and not cheesecake at all.  The "plain" one actually had a nutty mixture in the middle.  I love German bakeries!  YUM! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Tiffany! Looks like a great day of seeing the sights

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Tiffany! Looks like a great day of seeing the sights

    ReplyDelete