Monday, August 10, 2015

Cutting through the Red Tape

Today was insane.  Okay, let's back up.  In order to do anything when you want to move to Germany, you have to have 2 things:  A work contract and a rental agreement on an apartment.  You have to have these before you move to Germany.  As soon as you move to Germany you have to go to the registration office and register that you have a rental agreement.

With the registration you can have a bank account, but you have to sign up for a time to meet with the banker - you can't sign up right then and there.  In order to get a cell phone you have to have the registration and a bank account.

You also have to go to the immigration office - your registration needs to have been processed first - Ulm people, so sorry, you have to wait for a week, Neu-Ulm people can go the next day. (Luckily, I live in Neu-Ulm.)  When you go to the immigration office (which happens tomorrow for me), you need everything certified and documented.

I literally have a folder which proves that I am who I am from birth certificate to degrees to passports. I also have to have a background check done in Germany by the German government - never mind that I had an FBI background check that took 12 weeks to get back to me just certified.  No wonder I could never figure out how to live abroad and get a job on my own.  Too many specific steps you have to follow in order!  Lol!  Thank heaven the school has someone who specializes in this type of thing and speaks fluent German and English!  She was amazing today helping all of us newcomers!

1 comment:

  1. 😁 for all the paper work! 😃 that you had someone to help you.

    ReplyDelete